Posts

Trying out the main

Image
We went out for a brief sail today. Last sail for the next month. Helen wanted another sail and I wanted to check the mainsail.

Mainsail was great except that I had the topping lift and the halyard the wrong way round so it wouldn't go to the very top of the mast. But she sailed well balanced. I do like Crusader Sails!

Outboard and first sail…

Image
Today was first trial sail in Liza. I had problems with the outboard motor. It is a Selva 6HP, supposedly fairly new, but a 2 stroke not 4 stroke. So not sure how fairly new is fairly new!

Anyhow it tended to stall whenever I put it into reverse and was difficult to start. So I took it to the local Suzuki dealership and they gave it a complete overhaul. It came back starting perfectly and going into gear easily.

But Saturday was a day of sea fog. So we started later. The outboard started fine and we motored out of the marina without a problem, though it did sound a bit rougher and not quite so smooth as when I tested it.

Sailing Liza was great with the new sails from Crusader Sails I thought I'd test the genoa alone to start with. How would she perform in light airs? She sailed amazingly well. Pointed well and could tack easily with just the genoa. My experience with Crusaders Sails is that their genoas are really nice sails!

I had a friend and her daughter with me. The daughter …

New main sail

Image
I ordered a new main sail and new genoa from Crusader Sails in the UK. They are great people to deal with and can ship anywhere in the world.

So today's task was to replace the main sail.
Being as Liza is relatively light I wasn't sure if it would remain stable with me in a bosuns chair to add two blocks for the stack pack.

Hence, the daughter of a friend of ours, half my weight volunteered. You can see from her expressions that it didn't take much arm twisting to get her to do it!

In reality we found although Liza moves when you move around on her, being light, the centre of gravity is still such that an adult can easily go up the mast in a bosun's chair without any problems.

What we also learnt… the leg straps on the Kaya Safety bosuns chair hold you firmly but can dig in a little if you have short shorts. Also learnt that forgetting to pick up a Kaya work positioning lanyard was a mistake. We ended up tieing a rope as a work positioning lanyard, but in the past when…

Some thoughts…

Image
I saw this on Boaters Resources which is pretty close to what I am thinking of doing inside Liza: Wood paneling and a couple of trays. I'm not sure what I will do for the roof though. I suspect that all wood inside may make her feel a little heavy (aesthetically not physically).


And this trailer… (https://www.adverts.ie/boats/20ft-bilge-keel-yacht/6086255). With something like that I would not need lift out crane each year.



Double jaw toggle… and other parts

Image
I had a good conversation with Andy Cross at Crusader Sails today. They are making the new sails and lazybag for Liza. So I was checking over the measurement sheet I had sent them.

Some years back Paul & Vicky Lees from Crusader Sails had come out to Cyprus to teach me & Tim Price how to measure yachts for new sails, but it's always better to re-confirm everything before the sails are made rather than find they don't fit afterwards!

Alongside the measurement sheet, there is also a series of photographs they like to see to show them the various places where the sails interface with the rigging. One of those was the furler and the linkage to the hull.

The forestay hadn't looked quite right but I wasn't sure why. The brass shackle was due for replacement whatever happened.

Andy had noticed it from the photo and said that as well as the turnbuckle there should be a double jaw toggle… he said that loads of boats are like mine, but it's not right and could potent…

Mast fixed, boom on... looking like a yacht again!

Image
This is Liza's berth… at the moment. Next to Blue Angel owned by Costas. I sat with him and had frapé, nice to get to know your neighbours!

So today I washed the deck, fixed the pin in the mast (that turned out to be a lot more effort than we expected!) fixed the boom, fixed the bimini and did the measuring for the new sails. Still a few things to do before she is sailable again. One of the shrouds got damaged in the move and the outboard is not as reliable as I would like.

Fixing the mast proved that I needed to just think about it -- I used one of the winches to put rotational pressure on the mast, then pushed a couple of screwdrivers into the seat to move it round. We had three people trying to rotate the mast (and failing) a few days back when we stepped the mast. What I liked was that I could actually fix the problem alone. I just needed to think about it!

Back in the water… in Larnaca!

Image
Nothing with boats is ever as easy as it might seem. The low-loader from Pekris Brothers (thanks Joseph and everyone for all your help) could not get in through the main entrance or the back entrance to the marina. So it had to come through the port and in through the port-marina gate, which has separate gates and keys on both sides. Which meant that an official letter from Christos Petrides at the marina had to go to the Cyprus Ports Authority. Which he very helpfully did immediately for me!
Once through Liza could be put into the crane and moved into the water!





So now she is in her berth. We haven't stepped the mast yet. Later today, hopefully.